Tuesday, December 9, 2008

School's almost out!

So this week is Finals week.
For my English class, I get to put together the Journal that we have so diligently been working on this semester. I have on girl on my editing board that is assigned to help with the layout, but she is taking 22 credits and has a full time job. I can't imagine that she'll help that much with this process. But its her grade so if she doesn't...
Anyway. Part of me really wants to do it myself. I think it would be fun, if not time consuming. I went to edit the final submissions of papers today and there was one submission that surprised the socks off me. This girl shall remain nameless for her safety :). Anyway, the week before Thanksgiving we were all supposed to turn in a Research Proposal, showing that we had an understanding of our topic, the appropriate resources and a good thesis developed. She never turned it in. I emailed her a reminder then emailed her asking if he had dropped the class and I never recieved a reply. So I figured she dropped the class. Submissions one and two roll around and there is nothing from her so that cemented my assumption. Today though, I went online to see the other papers and lo and behold! she has posted a paper titled 'final submission'.
Well, I knew right off the bat that I wasn't going to accept it for publication. But I edited it anyway because I love editing. The paper had a lot of good ideas but NOTHING concrete! She didn't give evidence for any of her ideas, meandered off on summaries of fairy tales then came back to say 'this teaches children ____' then moved off onto another paragraph without any sort of explanation, justification, statistics, anything. So, I decided that she must have sat down to write this paper and thought 'Oh, I can just BS my way through the paper, they'll never notice'. And I'm offended that she would even think that.
(Now here I'm putting thoughts in her head and getting mad at her for them. Its not fair of me).
Anyway. The thing that tops the cake is that she was the editor for my first paper. All the way through my submissions and subsequent feedback, all she ever said was 'great job, this is awesome!' and made small comments about word choice or punctuation. And then what did she do? She rejected my paper. When I politely emailed back and asked why? she told me that her editing board made a mistake in how they edited it but because they 'didn't have time' to edit it correctly, they were still going to reject it. That boiled my blood. And now she turns in a paper that is poorly written without any sort of respect for my time.
Wow, I got myself worked up there!
Anyway. School completely 100% officially over next monday- only 6 days from now. And then I won't be busy, I'll probably lay around reading and playing with Emmaline.
Here are a few pictures to make you all happy. This pic is blury but you'll have to squint or something. The green on the walls is the color of my bedroom. Its pretty striking when you walk in. I've gotten used to it but people still comment when they see it.
This picture was a few months a go, during the fall. Matt was cleaning out the car and I needed him to take Emmaline for a moment. But she is adorable. And hasn't changed much except her hair is longer.

No comments: