Tuesday, December 30, 2008

As My World Turns

Since school got out, I've been focusing on getting done with this infernal independent study course that I signed up for last August. When I signed up I was so excited, the lessons were engaging and I was learning a lot. Then I hit a snag. I wrote a short story and I hated it. And I didn't have any idea how to fix it and redoing it was out of the question because of all the time I had put into making that one in the first place. Then the rest of my classes started and the Creative Writing class got put on a back burner. I thought about it occasionally, more thinking about how much I hated the short story I wrote and how to rewrite it with out redoing everything else. Ultimately, I didn't even get back to it until after the other classes were out. And you know what happened? I read the story again and I though "I must be genius!" No, it wasn't that good but it was good enough that I didn't cringe any more and I was able to look at it subjectively. I finished working on it, got it turned in and I'm now a proud author of my first short story. I moved onto another section of my class called The Personal Essay, which I'm almost done with as well. That leaves me one more section, on poetry. I'm not sure how excited about that I am but it cant be THAT bad...can it? I'm flying to Washington State tomorrow where we get to spend 5 glorious days with family before trudging back here to start another semester. I hope that vacation is as relaxing as we've built it up to be. When classes start again, I think I'm taking 3 online classes and one independent study course- three english and one history! You'd think I'd get tired of writing papers now wouldn't you?

No comments: