Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Aggravation (not the game)

I just got an email back about the FA situation with the independent study courses. They won't do it. Last semester they created 'shells' that basically allowed students to receive financial aid but they were still registered in independent study courses. Only three students signed up for those courses and only one even finished. Meaning, the school spent a lot of time and money for nothing really productive. So I don't get the benefit of FA paying for the last few classes I need to take. Oh, I also found out that I'll have to take 2 IS classes during the summer as well because they won't have the classes online that I need. Fun. So that takes the tally up to 4 classes that I need to pay for out of pocket- $2400. If I don't pay for the classes, I get to wait over the next year and hope they finally get them online. Not ideal. I emailed and asked if there was any way to get a scholarship because I know my GPA is really high. I have a 3.79 and I already have enough credits to graduate. Its just a matter of finding someone who wants to give me two and a half thousand dollars to finish my degree. Oh, and the other bummer? FA generally is given as a blank dollar amount. As long as I take 3 classes, I get the whole amount and can use the extra money however I see fit. But, I can only take 2 courses, they split the money in half and ultimately, half the money isn't enough to pay for two classes and books so money comes out of pocket. If I were able to take three courses, I'd get the remainder of the balance of money (around $700) and use it to help pay for IS classes. I don't even know if this rambling makes sense. On a different note, Matt has the flu and was up ALL night throwing up. I ended up sleeping on the couch so he wouldn't wake me up with his moaning and running to the bathroom constantly. I felt horrible abandoning him but after 2 hours of sitting at his side, I realized it would be better for me to sleep so I can handle today than for me to sit next to him while he expelled his dinner. Hopefully he feels better by Christmas.

No comments: