Saturday, October 17, 2009

RIP Grandpa

My grandpa Hanson passed away today. I am not sad, I am not happy, I am sadly devoid of emotion. (Give me a few days maybe). Grandpa Hanson is my dad's adopted father. My dad did not know he had been adopted until he was an older teenager. My grandpa and grandma Hanson had another son- Skip, who is several years younger than my dad. My grandpa wasn't always a good person. He was mentally abusive to his wife and sons most of their lives. He never really knew how to treat women and generally went with the idea that women and children should be seen and not heard. This did not endear him to my mom or my aunt. I think I got to spend time with him maybe 7 or 8 times as a child. Luckily I have no bad memories of him. In fact, the only memory I have is him giving me a stuffed doll- Beast from Beauty and the Beast- when he came for some reason. Probably a holiday. He has had lung cancer for several years. It went into remission at one point but came back even stronger, like many cancers do. My dad has been lucky enough to be able to travel to visit several times these past few months but grandpa's passing is still hard on my Dad. I know my grandpa has led a difficult life and has alienated many of his family members by his behaviors but I still hope that he gets to heaven so he can have a sound lashing by Great Grandma Edith. I hope she'll set him straight and teach him about the church and when we meet again in the eternities we all can have a better relationship with this man. Rest in Peace Grandpa.

No comments: