Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 2

This trip was interesting... We originally got out of the hotel at 7 but at just after 8 I had car troubles. There was a rain storm all over the state of Texas that was just going to get worse the further south I drove. Suddenly, only minutes after turning the wipers on, the drivers' side wiper stopped working. I pulled off the road thinking I could buy rain-x and it would do the trick. As I was buying that someone suggested that I drive down the road to Auto-Zone to see if they could do anything. They couldn't. They sent me down the road further to an auto shop. At that point the second wiper gave out and I was really worried. I hoped that this didn't cost a lot of money or time. The guys at the shop were all old, mostly toothless and were all gathered around my car. It wasn't creepy...it was more the type of grandpas who enjoy the attention of their granddaughters...it was fun. It turned out that the bolts holding the wipers down had loosened over the years and finally both decided to loosen enough to stop wiping while I was driving. Go figure. The guy charged me only 10$ (yeah, 10$ to tighten 2 bolts but I was just glad they didn't charge 150$ for 'labor costs'!) and I was on my way only 40 minutes after the first wiper gave out. It turns out to have been a really good thing I didn't try to rely on the rain-x because some of the rain turned out to be torrential. Again around 130 Emmaline started getting really cranky and I had to resort to ignoring her again. She fell asleep but this time for a lot less time. ( Did I mention that she went to sleep really late the first night in the hotel because the lights were all on? ) We finally got into San Antonio at 5 and headed out almost straight away to go to dinner. We didn't remember coats (whats a little rain, right?) and thats when the sky opened up the most. We were so soaked that my hair was dripping. It was C-R-A-Z-Y. Again, Emmaline played with everything that was loose, putting it in the bathroom area, pretending it was her tent. I put her down to sleep at 7 but she talked and played in the playpen until I finally turned out all the lights at 9. So another late night. I didn't sleep very well because of being in a new place with a new pillow all on top of anxiety. So we both woke up at 5am. Ayayay!

No comments: