Saturday, September 5, 2009

Stories to make you Laugh

Matt and I don't generally like the same flavor of icecream. One time, we each bought our own box of icecream to eat. Within a matter of days mine was gone (I'm addicted to icecream) and Matt's was still there. I tried to ignore it but after several attempts I decided I wanted to dig in to his. Matt always opens the icecream boxes by the end of the carton (weird because when you get to the bottom of the carton you get your hand dirty trying to dig it out). I opened his box with a spoon in the other hand, planning on taking a few big spoonfuls but when I couldn't reach the icecream, I closed it up and flipped it over. I love the fresh end of a box because you can scrape all the icecream off the flaps...anyway. I dug in, taking several spoonfuls of icecream then dutifully put the box back in the freezer. A few days later we were making up a grocery list and I asked Matt if he wanted me to get him any more icecream. Wanna know what he said? "Sure. But I got ripped off on the last box! There was a huge hole with no icecream in it at all!" The funny part was that he was dead serious and actually thought that the icecream company had left a huge hole on one side of the box that didn't have any icecream. I nearly died laughing. I guess that was good of him not to immediately assume I ate it... Another funny story: Just before Matt and I got married my parents were moving and slimming down their food storage. They gave me a 50lb bag of flour which I did not open before I got married- I did not need to. After Matt and I got married we had to move from Washington to Idaho and we packed the 50lbs of flour somewhere in our moving truck. When we unpacked the truck, Matt was frustrated to discover that the bag had been punctured. It was a pretty small hole but you know flour...every time he moved the bag, flour would come up in a big puff. We didn't have any time at all to move in before my classes started so on the first day I left for class with a short list of things that Matt could do while I was gone. He asked (several times that day, I'm sure) what we were going to do with the bag of flour. I kept saying 'We'll just put it in a garbage bag'. My thinking was that there was nothing wrong with the flour, it just needed to be contained and the garbage bag sounded like the best option. I went off to school and Matt started on his list and sometime during my absence he came across this bag of flour again. It must have really been eating at him that he needed to do something because he remembered that I had said 'garbage bag' and decided to act. When I came home he was pointing out everything he had done for me while I was gone. I don't remember if I asked or if he told me but when we came to the flour bag he said he threw the bag of flour in the dumpster. What? Why did he throw the 50lbs of flour in the dumpster? It took a moment to figure this out. Every time I said 'we'll put the flour in a garbage bag' I thought we are keeping it from exploding any more. Every time I said 'we'll put the flour in a garbage bag' he though I wanted to throw it away! That was our first lesson in communication. If something doesn't make sense...ask! I still tease him about the 50lbs of flour to this day and he still feels horrible about throwing out that much perfectly good flour.

1 comment:

Montefusco Family said...

The ice cream story is too funny & sounds like something that would happen in our house.
:)