Friday, August 7, 2009

Travel Home

Have you ever been on a flight where you could swear the pilot was either senile or brand new? Thats how the flight home was. Take off was difficult. I'm used to the plane getting off the ground and having a constant pressure until the plane levels off how ever many feet in the air but this pilot kept leveling off at different heights then continuing the ascent. The result was that I had to pop my ears multiple times and my stomache did a million little flips rather than just a few. Emmaline was tired becasuse she didn't take a nap in the morning and she rarely ever actually falls alseep on my lap- definately not without screaming a lot first. So She had a difficult time staying put for three hours on my lap. By the end of the trip she was opening the window, closing the window, standing up, turning on the light, sitting down, standing up, turning off the light, sitting down, opening the window, closing the window...you get the picture. I wanted to stop her because it was driving me crazy having the light on and off and such but it was keeping her occupied better than anything else I had so I delt with it. The descent was just as crazy as the ascent. For a full 20 minutes I felt like my stomach was sitting next to me. And I had to pop my ears a million times again because we kept dropping! It was sort of scary but mostly annoying. The landing was smooth but slowing down after landing wasn't. The pilot slammed on the breaks twice. The first time it threw everyone forward in their seats where we staid for about 15 seconds before he let up on the break. Everyone chuckled at that but I didn't think it was funny. It was mostly annoying! Getting off the plane was easy and we met Matt at the soonest point he was allowed. Actually, he crossed that line when he saw us but I don't think they really cared. I had Emmaline walking in front of me and when I saw Matt I said "Do you see daddy? Run to him!" At first she just walked a bit faster but when Matt got down on his knees with his arms open she started running. As soon as she got to him she said 'Daddy!' and gave him the biggest hug I've ever seen her give. It nearly made me cry just watching! Emmaline fell asleep in the car on the way home and was quite disoriented upon arriving. She kept saying 'no' over and over and laying on the floor crying. I think she was overwhelmed with being tired, the trip and suddenly being home. After a half hour of trying to get her to calm down and eat something we decided it was best for her to just go to bed. She was out within minutes of being in her crib- and Iwas glad. I had half an inkling that she would have a hard time adjusting to being home again. We all slept in about an hour this morning and Emmaline and Matt have been playing and talking all morning while I've been posting. Although vacations are always nice, its so good to be home!

No comments: