Monday, August 24, 2009

Matt's Going Away Party

We had a party for Matt on Saturday and invited a lot of people from church. Matt doesn't have a ton of close friends so we pretty much did an open invitation and specifically invited people we talked to often. I was expecting around 20-30 people to show up at some point during the evening and was worried that we wouldn't have enough food. We ended up having way too much food because only one family showed up. We still had a lot of fun talking but it was a bit disappointing to not have more people there. But it was fun. We let the family who came estimate how many pushups they thought Matt'll have to do on his first 'official' day of Basic Training. Most people guessed within the 30-50 range with the hightest being 160. I'm guessing more around the 200+ mark because of what I've heard. The idea is that Matt'll count all the pushups he has to do (or at least estimate) and write home. Whoever guessed the closest will win a candy bar. I'd open the guessing to all my online friends but it might be disappointing to not recieve the candy bar in the mail. Sorry. Matt is leaving today. We are taking him into St Louis today, he is swearing in tomorrow (I'll post all about it) then he's gone for the next...forever. I think he'll come home for Christmas so he'll be gone for at least 4 months. Look for more post updates on Matt's new blog.

1 comment:

Crystal and Billy said...

Britta, I am SO, SO sorry we missed it. I really truly and seriously planned to attend; I don't know where my mind went! (Actually, it went to sleep pretty early that night, to be honest).

I wish Matt the best at training. I'm sure he'll do a great job!