Friday, August 28, 2009

Potty Training

Emmaline is starting to Potty train. Through all the reading I've done and people I've talked to I've heard "Don't start too early!" So I've patiently waited for about three months to make sure Emmaline is totally ready. I talked to her doctor last week who said she is ready so start now. In order to be ready to potty train, kids have to be able to pull their pants down on their own, verbalize words for their actions (like pee and poop) and recognize when they need to go. The last part is actually a step. First the recognize that they have gone, then they recognize they are going then they finally recognize they need to go. Emmaline has had most of these steps for the past few months but I keep wondering if its too early. All the people I've talked to have said that their kids don't potty train until 2.5-4 years old and Emmaline isn't yet 2. So I hesitate because I really don't want to push her and I really don't want a relaps on my hands and I really don't want to be one of those moms who are still struggling with potty training when their child is going into kindergarten. So today I finally started. I let Emmaline run around the house naked for two hours and the only result was her being extra cranky two hours before naptime. So I think I stressed her out with the being naked part. When she gets up I'm going to try letting her stay dressed but ask her every half hour if she wants to go potty. That is how she has used the potty chair up to now so maybe it'll be less stressful for her. I'll update in a few days I guess if this worked or not. If it doesn't, I might just wait until November or something to start again. I'm in no rush but when my daughter asks to go potty several times a day without prompting? I'm pretty sure she is.

No comments: