Friday, December 11, 2009

My poor car.

I call it mine only becuase Matt is gone and hasn't even driven it for 4 months. So its mine. That means I have to be incharge of taking care of it. Oddly enough. Two months ago I asked Matt to check the tires when I was at Lackland for his graduation. His verdict was that our tires were just fine and I didn't need to worry. Well, two days ago I happened to glance down at the tire and was shocked to notice that it was nearly bald! I fumed for a little bit that Matt would have the gall to give me such poor information then I realized that in the last two months we have driven more than 3,500 miles. Definately a reason my tires would look bald now and didn't when Matt checked. Christmas is not the best time to have to replace tires but a few things fuel the necessity. For one, I'm traveling another 2,500 miles within the next three weeks. I really don't want to deal with a tire blow out while driving to Texas. Not an exciting event to deal with. Two, in order for Matt to go with me in my car an MTL has to inspect it for safety. I'm almost positive that my nearly bald tires wouldn't pass the test. Three, I have a safety inspection to do in order to get new tabs on my car in Feburary. So I'd have to get new tires by then anyway. So I'm spending 400$ to get new tires. The most frustrating thing is that our tires are an odd size. Why? I don't know. But they are. It means that I can't find them cheap (something like 50$ a tire or buy 3 get one free sounds good to me!) and they aren't at every tire place. Walmart doesn't have them in-store but does have them online. The problem is that it would take 6-8 business days to get them to the store and I only have 4 business days until I make another round trip to Texas. So no go. But Walmart employees kindly informed me that the front two tires needed replacing, the back two tires would be okay. I was relieved, half as expensive, right? I opted for a Firestone Tire- who actually had exactly 4 tires in stock. I was happy to drop my car off this afternoon and get the car dealt with days before my trip. But then I get a call. Sigh. So a little lesson here. Car tires are given a rating on a scale of 1-12. 12 means that there is full tread, 1 means its entirely bald. (I totally like this rating scale, Walmart people were trying to tell me in inches which baffled me). They reccomend that tires be replaced when they get to 4. My tires? 4,3,2 and 1. So all of them needed to be replaced (makes me wonder how much the Walmart people know if they tell me the back tires are just fine...) So I'm getting all four tires replaced. I wonder if that'll make for a smoother drive? Also, my poor car has had a headlight out for about a month now and has needed an oil change for weeks. I finally got around to the oil change today and bought a new bulb so my dad can replace it tomorrow (thanks dad!). I think my car felt neglected. I hope it didn't start lowering the gas milage to get back at me. But he should be happy now!

1 comment:

Crystal and Billy said...

We're having car trouble, too. We finally paid off the car last week and now our check engine light turned on. Hopefully it's nothing serious....We'll see!