Tuesday, May 12, 2009

DEP

Matt is now officially a member of the United States Air Force. He went to MEPS all day Monday and was poked, prodded, questioned, and sworn-in. He got a wake-up call around 4am and didn't get a break until 11. When he called I cried. Silly me. It was only one night away from him but I didn't like the idea of having no idea what he was doing. I guess I'll have to get used to that.
He signed up for several jobs and I guess they'll be assigning him to something relitively quickly. At least I hope. I heard that a lot of things in the military are 'hurry-up-and-wait' but I hope that this isn't one of them. It would be nice to get a paycheck. They placed him in the DEP (delayed enlistment program) where he'll stay until he ships out to boot camp.
The jobs that he chose all have to do with being a mechanical supervisor. First was helicopter, then tactical aircraft then something else. So the next thing that he has to be doing is getting in shape for boot camp. According to all the websites that I could find, he has to be able to do 45 push-ups and 50 sit-ups in one minute as well as a mile and a half run in 11:57. He is pumping the pushups and situps out fast but not fast enough yet. But he is working on them.
Yeah for Matt! I am so proud of him. And I can't wait to see him in his blues after training. He'll be buff and so hot. I'm sighing just thinking about it!

2 comments:

Montefusco Family said...

Yay! Glad to hear that it is all working out for y'all.
I laughed when I read that you cried. You better save those tears girl b/c one night is nothin'!
:)

Britta said...

I know I know! I felt pretty pathetic when I cried after one day...I'll have to toughen up a little. Practice makes perfect, right? (ugh.)