Thursday, July 26, 2012

...and here's the worse news

I tried to upload images of the heart that the dr showed me but my iPad doesn't want to go with it. So hopefully I can explain what is going on well enough. I had two ultrasounds today. The first one was with a doctor who deals with defects inutero. After visiting with that doctor I went to my second appointment with a pediatric cardiologist. Typically that doctor works with kids after they are born, but having him on the team was important because of his extended knowledge of the infant heart. Without going into too much detail about the appointments themselves, the bottom line is that TJs defect is quite severe. TJ has a double inlet left ventrical, a hydro plastic right ventrical, a hydro plastic mitral valve and a single ventrical. The one positive that the doctor noted was that he seems to have two normal great valves. TJ will be born just fine but within a few weeks of his birth his oxygen levels will drop. This will result I difficulty eating, fast breathing, and slow growth. Depending on how well he is doing, he will need surgery by one to two months old. Then he will need two more surgeries around 3 and 6 months old. Through out his life he will always have difficulties with his heart, needing regular appointments with cardiologists. As a teenager or young adult he may need another surgery or even a pacemaker. He will never be a sports player but he will live a normal, fulfilling life. The biggest thing right now is that I will not be delivering in Hawaii. They do not have the means to take care of the baby's heart here. I have to leave here within a few weeks. We have not yet determined where I will go. Several pieces have to fall into place to decide where that will be. The last big piece of news is that we are moving. Where ever they can move us to that has a good children's hospital...we will be moving there within the next two months. The doctor seemed to think it vital that Matt be here to hear the information and help make decisions, I agree. He will be immediately flying out, being here within a week. The doctor also doesn't think I should be taking the two girls with me, so Matt will take them home with him. Hopefully he can get the house packed up and moved easily and quickly. I know we will need to be together as a family over the next few months. Because of the sudden change in plans (again...), we need to sell our cars, a few other items around the property, get babysitting for Emmaline for nine days while Matt is here,and we have a lot of talking to do. Fun fun fun. Please don't worry about TJ. I know he is perfectly fine right now and once he is born he will have some of the best care the military has. Prayers are always welcome, as well as meals and babysitting for my family.

No comments: