Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Boone Home

My mom got her Bachelor's degree in American Studies- which is a History sort of degree. Her advisor then offered her a job working at the Boone Home as a tour guide where she gets free tuition for her Master's degree in return. Pretty cool deal.
So Matt and I took our girls to the Boone Home to get a tour from my mom. It was really cool. Daniel Boone was a major explorer in the 1800s. Lindenwood University has started gathering old homes from the early 1800s and relocating them to Boone's property- so there are a few homes, a church, a carpenter shop, etc. It was very beautiful (you'll see in the pictures) and fun to see the way people lived 200 years ago. (I don't envy them!)
Below is the Carpenter's shop.
The church is behind the fence in the background below.
This is the side of the Boone Home. (We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the building so we just tried taking pictures of the scenery outside).
There is a steeple in the center of the picture with a bird on top - its the view from the balcony of the Boone Home of the church.
We really enjoyed the tour and learning about life in the 1800s. My mom said they are attempting to figure out where the old out house was. The thinking is that 200 years ago, while going to the bathroom, things may have fallen out of pockets and dropped down the hole and no one would have gone after it! I guess there have been several historical sites in the US who have found the old outhouse wells and really found some valuable things! Its sorta gross, but really cool at the same time. Personally, if I could live in an old house like that, I'd love it. It would be my ideal house. Well, the huge and beautiful lawn would have to come with it :)

No comments: