Saturday, February 12, 2011

Perfection

Yesterday was perfect in every way. Part of me wishes I had pictures to express how amazing the day was but the other part of me realizes that even with the most perfect pictures, there is no way they could adequately convey my day. My family and I went to the beach together. For about 2 hours I was able to be completely free. There was no worry about money, a dirty house, work, not having our stuff, family issues, or any of the million other things that bother me during the day. As a teenager, if you asked me where I'd love to spend all my life, I would have said I wanted to be tucked up in a cabin on a mountain side where you can hear the wind in the trees and the birds chirping and be lulled to sleep by crickets and bull frogs. I think I wanted that because I could hide myself. I've changed my mind. Right now, the beach is the most perfect place for me to be. Wide open spaces, the perfectly blue sky that I can gaze into, the waves beating against the sand and rocks. Yesterday I relaxed on the beach towels and stared into the sky and I felt like I could loose myself in it. It was so BLUE and there was so much depth in it. While I did that I could hear Lottie breathing softly next to me, asleep in her carseat, and Emmaline was giggling up a storm while playing with the sand, throwing it in the air and squishing it between her toes. Matt and I stood in the ocean, holding our daughters, getting pushed and pulled by the waves. We would watch the water break agains the reef in the distance and then wait until the waves reached us. Matt would backfloat and laugh at how far the current took him away from me and Emmaline called the waves 'bumps'. The strangest thing is that for about two hours, I didn't worry about being in a swimsuit. How much sense does that make? Had we gone to the pool I would have kept myself wrapped up tight. But for some reason, being out in nature, enjoying my family, enjoying the water and the sand, I couldn't care less what my body looked like or felt like. I just enjoyed life. One more thing- as we were packing up to go home, Matt noticed a pile of shells. I'd seen them earlier and thought they were collected by some kids. But it turns out it was a pile of hermit crabs! We started poking at them and pointing them out to Emmaline. We ended up counting 8 hermit crabs who had been hunkered down for an afternoon nap, right next to our towels. I don't know how it happened that I am in one of the most beautiful places on earth with the most wonderful family on earth. I don't know how I got to be so blessed. But I hope we can have days like yesterday many more times in my life. It was just...so...perfect.

No comments: