Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pregnancy woes

I'm now 24.5 weeks along and I'm about ready to be done. The first trimester was plagued with nausea (no throwing up, thank goodness) and exhaustion (a TON of that). The second trimester started great. I had new clothes, was seeing Matt every few weeks, got over most of the exhaustion and nausea. But now. Oh, now. The end of the second trimester has not been nearly as nice. My back hurts. I've figured out that I can stand up for about 10-15 minutes before my back hurts too bad to continue. If I force myself to (like for grocery shopping) then I wind up with a back ache for the rest of the day. Guess what today was? Grocery shopping day. I set out knowing that I had to go quickly or else I wouldn't make it. Somehow I was out for an hour and a half and just about crying at the end. I finally forced myself to get all the groceries in the house, sat down to eat and then realized I couldn't walk the length of the living room without a break and holding onto furnature. It hurt that bad. Luckily Emmaline went down for a nap and I could lay in bed with a heating pad on but it didn't altogether fix the aches. I've been trying to get up and walk around every so often to keep myself from cramping up and getting stiff. But sitting down hurts and standing up hurts. I just hurt no matter what. Matt wants me to do something but the question is what? I've thought about a brace...but do they make them my size? And if so, would it help me? I've also thought about a chiropractor but from what I hear you have to go in several times before there is any relief to begin with. And I don't know if insurance covers any of that. I'd have to find out. I've also thought about going to the gym and working specifically on strengthing back muscles (I hate seeing my money go to waste on my unused membership every month) but then realized that my back hurts just walking. I can't imagine that lifting weights is going to help... The problem here is that it'll just get worse. I'm going to get twice as big, guaranteed, and since I have a toddler I don't really have the choice to lay around and do nothing all day. Or maybe itll be like the nausea and just go away after the second trimester. Ha! Here's to hoping.

1 comment:

Jenne said...

Ask your doctor if he will recommend massage therpy. I know this helps and you feel so relaxed afterwards. Your insurance may cover it with the doctors recommendation. It can't hurt to at least check it out. I wish I was there to help out some. Take it easy. Aunt Jenne