Friday, October 26, 2012

Welcome baby Thaddeus!

It's horribly depressing to me that I can't figure out how to post pictures on my blog with my IPad.  I've avoided posting for that very reason...what's a blog without pictures?  But at the moment I feel like telling TJs story and we will just have to get to pictures later.

I went to the hospital the night of October 2 to be induced. After a few hours of waiting around and sleeping, we were told the doctors weren't comfortable having me induced before 6am because a bed wouldn't be available at the children's hospital until noon and if I delivered too early and there were complications...well that wouldn't be good, right?

So at 5:30 the started prepping for the induction. First they had to give me the dreaded IV.  I've never ever been easy to put an IV I. But when I tell the nurses that, they all assure me that they are really good at IVs and ill be fine. But they are always wrong. After two excruciating tries between two nurses they called the anesthesiologist in who numbed me up like crazy and tried again. Still uncomfortable but it worked. I joke that the stupid IV actually hurts worse than the contractions!

Because of the IV fiasco the pitocin didn't get started on time but no matter.  I was 3 and 50% before they started and when checked at 10am I hadn't made any progress. Grr.  By 3 pm I was checked again and I was at 5.5. I thought there would still be hours left. I was then sent through the worst hour of my life and by just after 4pm I was checked again and I was at a 9. The doctors were shocked and I was told they were talking about my fast progression in the halls.

It only took one really good push but two pushes total to get him out.  He was stuck at his shoulders. The longer story involves me being in too much pain to move to help him get out. The short story is that the docs were great at helping me get positioned right to get his shoulders unstuck.

He was really blue when he came out. Matt cut his cord but they took him to the isolette before I could hold him.  I did get a moment to hold him before they took him to the NICU. He was so blue and so bruised that I almost didn't recognize him as mine.  It was a strange moment.

The transport team took him to Children's hospital by 6pm while I stayed at the hospital for recovery. I'm sure the nurses didn't really love me but I pushed to get out as soon as possible. I was gone by 1030 the next morning.

When I got to Children's, he was doing great. He had a lot better coloring but was still bruised and blue tinted.  I was told when pregnant that I probably couldn't breast feed him because of complications so I was really glad there was nothing stopping me from breast feeding him.

TJ continued todo so well that he was moved out of the NICU to the regular floor where he stayed until he had surgery on day 6. The surgery went very well and he was in the NICU for a few days before being transferred back to the main floor for discharge the next day.

I was shocked and so grateful that he could go home so much earlier than expected. We thought we were in for the long haul and planning a month or more!

Life with TJ home has been great.  We have had to keep the girls away because they are sick but otherwise he has managed to fit in just fine.  We still have bi weekly cardiology appointments as well as pediatrician appointments and sometime over the next 4-6 months they will decide to schedule his next surgery.

Pictures will come as soon as I can get to a real computer:)

No comments: