Thursday, April 7, 2011

February Resolution

Last month, my New Year's resolution was to add strength training into my work outs. Unfortunately, I never started a work out routine when I moved here (the gym doesn't have child care here which makes it harder to get a work out done). What I decided to do was to purchase free weights and then do a 15 minute routine every night. My aim was to see if I could improve how many reps I did through the weeks.
The result? Failure. Well, thats putting it bluntly. The first week I did great. Matt was working night shifts so once I got him off to work and the girls to bed, I had the time alone to do the work out. But... then I got really sick for two days. And then all of our stuff arrived and I was more concerned with organizing everything than I was with exercising. And then once everything calmed down again, I'd lost the 'groove' of it.
And thats where I failed. It was easier to ignore the weights than to pick them up and try.
Things I learned:
1) I really hate exercising with Matt in the room. I get nervous that he's judging how well I'm doing and I get embarrassed.
2) If I'm going to stick to a home work out plan, I really need to have both the space and a specified time in which to do it. Just saying 'I'll get to it when I get to it' isn't working for me. And moving my work out from room to room based on where I feel like being at the moment, doesn't work either. I'm inclined to skip it because I am constantly dragging my supplies around the house.
3) Sometimes even doing a little bit when I don't feel like doing anything gets me more in the mood to do all of it. So if I plan on doing three sets of exercises every day but one day only feel like doing one, I need to do that one. Often I got enough into the work out that I finished more than just the one rep.
I wish I had some cool stats about where I started and where I ended this month with my goals. I think that sort of post would have been cooler. But it didn't work out this time. Hopefully this month I can keep up with my goals better than I did last month!

No comments: