Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lottie

Lottie is such an amazing little girl. I'm floored by how smart she is sometimes. That comes with a catch- she doesn't talk yet. Not mama, not dada, nothing. Her favorite thing to say for a while was 'bip' but now it just mainly grunting and screaming. But she is amazing at getting her point across. She'll point, wave, use sign language, etc and she'll generally make known what she wants.
This morning I found a bib where it wasn't supposed to be. I handed it to Lottie and asked her to go put it in the kitchen but I figured I'd find it somewhere in the hallway, on the couch, or with her toys. So later I put her in the highchair and went in search of that bib, lookingeverywhere I thought it would be. I finally gave up and went to get a new bib and low and behold, she'd put the bib in the drawer, right where the bibs belong. I was so excited to see that she comprehended so well!
Lottie loves to sing and she sings all the time. She'll walk around the house sort of swaying to her own wordless songs and grin really big when we catch her doing it. I'm thinking voice lessons in the future :) (For some reason, the rotate isn't working, bare with me...)We went to the aquarium last weekend. Lottie really loved seeing all the fish. It was pretty cool to see her putting her hands on the glass and trying to touch the fish- the star fish were cool where she could actually put her hand right over them. Okay, so there is a story behind this hot-dog-on-a-stick... We were at the squadron barbecue and we picked up two plates of food to share between all of us. We showed Lottie the plate and she pointed out that she'd like a bite of macaroni salad- didn't like it. She ended up swiping her hand at the spoon and making quite the mess. So she pointed at the hot dogs. But they were too hot and she wouldn't hold it. So she then pointed at my chicken teriyaki (on a stick) but I was being grumpy and didn't want to share (no, actually, I just knew she wouldn't like it and didn't want to hand her the whole stick just for it to wind up in the dirt...). So she sat there screaming for a while, wanting food but not wanting what we could give her. I finally finished my chicken-on-a-stick and got the brilliant idea of just putting Lottie's hot dog on there for her to eat. And it worked! She went to town on that hot dog and thoroughly enjoyed it.
This is Lottie at our Labor day party- she is pretty dang cute, doncha think?
My mom was really worried that Lottie wouldn't remember her we we went back to visit. And I warned my mom that she would need to give Lottie a few days to adjust because Lottie is people shy... but she didn't even need that! Grandma quickly became her favorite person in the house.
Lottie really loves her new sister. She loves hugging, kissing, patting, trying to feed, and cuddling the baby. Sometimes Lottie is so curious, it boarders on mean- like when she takes Gabby's bottle out of her mouth, or when she tries poking Gabby's eyes. But she is always very concerned when Gabby cries and wants to help take care of her sister. Its such a sweet relationship to watch!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I read somewhere that toddlers like poking baby's eyes because they're squishy.