Thursday, May 27, 2010

Our First Foray

Today I braved going out with two children- by my self. Since Matt left early morning on Monday the most I have attempted is a short walk to a friend's house. Today's excitement started with taking a walk to the mailbox (its 11 building away). It was supposed to be a walk around the block but Emmaline was trying out her new tricycle and was going snail slow. On the the way back I suggested she let me carry the trike and she run a little bit. She enjoyed playing 'shadow chase' until she fell and scraped her knees. And the crying didn't stop for about 15 minutes. The walk wasn't over yet though. I'm carrying Lottie in the wrap in front of me, the trike in my right hand and Emmaline decides that if I don't pick her up at that moment, she'll explode. So I was carrying both girls and the trike up the rest of the hill, back to the apartment. So we didn't go as far as I wanted to but I definately still got some exercize in! Secondly- Weight Watchers is having a May promotion that the sign up fee is waived until the end of the month. I really liked the program when I was in it last year (quit when I got pregnant though) and I wanted to take advantage of the free registration when I could. So I packed the girls into the car and took off. Okay so, Lottie was supposed to fall asleep in the car. Babies do that, right? Not her. We got to the office and Emmaline decided she had to go to the bathroom. I set Lottie down hoping she'd stay content for 4 minnutes while I took Emmaline to the bathroom. Not so. I came out and hear her wailing in her seat, Upon picking her up I realize she is definately poopy and decide it would be a bad mom thing to make her wait until the meeting was over. Turns out its a good thing I went to change her. She had exploded her diaper- the worst one yet. (Why does that always happen when you go out? Emmaline decided to do that when we took her to the zoo the first time- and I think she exploded through two or three diapers before she finally finished...) I had to strip her down and use wipes to clean her up. She was screaming the entire time because of being cold. Ugh. By the time I got back out from taking care of her, Emmaline is crying in her seat because she didn't like being left alone. Sigh. Lottie wouldn't settle down either. I think she was hungry but I really wasnt' about to start nursing there- some places I just don't feel comfortable doing that yet. So I was bouncing her around trying to get her to take the pacifier, cuddling with Emmaline helping her feel okay again and the meeting gets started. Luckily it only took about 15 minutes total to get Lottie settled down so I could hear most of the meeting. Emmaline did start crying again when I jumped up to take someone's waterbottle to them when they left in a hurry and left it there. She didn't like being left alone and got worried i guess. So we finally get done there and head to my mom's house. Emmaline is still sick and really doesnt get along with her cousin very well and today that resulted in an hour of crying and screaming. So we didn't stay long. I got home and we all crashed. I wish I could say that was the end of it but we've been surviving off of crackers, waffles and cereal for a few days now and we just ran out of milk. I had to go shopping. So I packed up both girls and went. Now, Emmaline used to sit in the seat in the front of the cart but now I have to put the car seat there. Emmaline can't sit in the basket or I wouldn't have space to put the food. Has anyone ever gone shopping with a two and a half year old? Try telling them to hold onto the cart and not grab every colorful container off the shelf! One scare was when she decided she was going to get the eggs for me. She didn't actually drop any but man- I saw it happening in my mind! By the time I got done shopping I think I walked every isle twice just because of chasing her down and putting food away. Next time I'm not taking her with me! Now its bedtime. But Emmaline is still sick- coughing and crying at everything. I believe its going to be a long night of waking up to take care of both girls. And I think we'll stay safely at home for another few days. I had enough adventure today.

1 comment:

Laura said...

When I take both girls shopping, I put Megan in the wrap or front carrier and Jane still sits in the seat in the cart. SOOOOO much easier. Just a thought.